Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 25th ride (first 60 miles under 3 hours with no stops)

The weather was perfect, cool with no wind. I started around 8:30 in the morning. I did the first 60 miles in 2:59:16, so I had a few seconds to spare. I should have stopped the computer at that time, since I completed the loop, but I was thinking of trying a 100K at 20mph. That thought was quickly dashed as I realized I didn't have a lot more to give. I did hit the lap button on the 60 mile mark, so you can see the average speed at 60 miles at 20.1, then the last 1.7 miles with an average speed of 15mph.

I'm very happy with this ride even though I felt sick afterwards.

New Cleat/pedals:
I had very little foot pain and numbness this trip, a very good sign.

Condition after trip:
I didn't feel very good after the trip my leg and foot muscles were wanting to 'charlie horse' for some time after getting off the bike. I also felt nauseated and had to rest a couple hours afterwards. Not sure what happened, perhaps it was caused by not eating anything during the ride only drinking water, plus I only had a bowl of cereal and a banana before the ride. I haven't felt like this after a ride since 2007.

Flat tire:
I had a strange flat this trip, one that didn't effect my time at all. I had just pulled into my driveway, stood up and dismounted the Musashi. I then lifted the Musashi off the ground to lean it against the house. As soon as I lifted the bike there was a loud pop and a PSSSSSSSSSSST. It was loud enough for my wife who was in the house to hear, since the windows were open.

Now that's a bike! Not only is it fast, it also knew how important this ride was for me so it actually held its flat until after I completed the ride, then not being able to hold it any longer it let go as soon as I dismounted. Unfortunately I actually blew the tire not just the intertube. Not sure why, since they are rated up to 145 PSI and I only inflate them to 120PSI. The hole is in the sidewall, I put a repair boot in but not sure how long that will last, I'll most likely be buying a new tire soon, the tire has around 1400 miles on it.

Direct link to ride details

Stat summary for the ride:

No comments: