Saturday, April 23, 2011

Choosing the right recumbent bike for me

Its a little too thunder storming out to do any riding today, so I thought I would go through the thought process on deciding which bike was a best fit for me.

My first recumbent was a Vision R40, I bought it new in 1996. Since it was my first recumbent I chose the R40 since it seemed the most versatile. The Vision R40 could be changed into a long wheelbase (LWB), short wheelbase (SWB) and had options for either over or under seat steering.That was important to me since I didn't know which type of recumbent I would like best. I bought it in the short wheelbase (SWB), under seat steering option. I liked the short wheelbase since it was shorter and easier to make a U turn in the middle of the street. I chose under seat steering since it seemed more comfortable. I did a quick test ride at the bike store and then brought it home, as the new proud owner.
I've been very happy with the R40, but its' just getting old and I decided it was time for something new that would be cooler and faster.

So after 15 years I was ready for a new bike. I wanted one that would have at least the following traits: SWB, high coolness factor, inherently faster then the R40, less twitchy then the R40 and had to be comfortable on long rides. With those parameters in mind I then checked out various websites to get a list of bikes that looked to loosely meet those parameters. It looked like I would need to try some SWB high/mid and low racers. Luckily for me I have a couple of recumbent bike shops within an hour and a half drive.


I first tried Valley bikes of Indianapolis, Indiana. At Valley bikes I was able to test the Bacchetta Corsa and the Optima Baron plus a couple of others that I wasn't too interested in. The Corsa is a very well reviewed and liked SWB high racer. I felt a bit awkward on the bike and my knees kept hitting the front steering post whenever I made a turn. I'm sure the front post issue would have gone away if I had the bike properly dialed in over time. The Baron Optima is a SWB lowrider bike, it was very twitchy, more so then my R40, so it was out.

Next I was able to try some bikes at Fairfield cyclery in Fairfield, Ohio. There I was able to test the Rans V-Rex, Rans F5, Catrike 700 and Catbike Musashi. (plus lots of others if I wanted) The Rans V-Rex is a SWB over seat steering bike. This bike was very comfortable and I felt very at home on it, after all it was the closest to being like the R40 that I have ridden the last 15 years. I chose not to get it since I wanted something different from what I already had. I then tried the Rans F5, this bike is another high racer SWB bike. I liked the ride on this bike better then the Corsa, but by now I decided I needed something lower to the ground to cut down on wind resistance.

Next I tried something completely different, the Catrike 700. This bike is a three wheeler SWB that has a 700C rear wheel with two smaller wheels in front. This is known as a tadpole configuration. This bike was very comfortable from the first minute I sat down and seemed to fit like a glove! There was no steering post or front tire to hit your legs or feet as you turned. I was smiling from the first moment I saddled this bike. It was a lot of fun.

Next I tried the Catbike Musashi. This bike is a mid-racer, not as low as a low racer, but around 10 inches lower then my R40. It is a SWB with over seat steering with a very laid back non-adjustable seat angle. I had some issues at first since you need to be careful since your foot can hit the front wheel during sharp turns. This is the same problem with almost all SWB bikes. Although this bike also had the additional issue of the end tube gear shifter hitting my leg, possibly at the same time the front wheel hits your foot. All these issues are easily dialed out once you get the bike properly fitted for you over time.

At this point I decided I was either going to get the Catrike 700 or the Catbike Musashi. Decisions decisions with a bit more cash I would just get both! There's a 13 mile bike trail near the Fairfield bike shop, the owners allowed me to take each to the trail for a test ride. I first tried the 700. I was impressed and thought this was going to be the one for me. I then tried the Musashi. The Musashi seemed much faster then the 700 (I had forgotten to bring my 705 GPS) and was surprisingly comfortable and stable.

After the two test rides were completed I was leaning more towards the Musashi.  I could see myself doing more sight seeing on the 700 since you can easily stop with your feet in the peddles. I needed a bike to help keep me in shape so I ended up choosing the speed of the Musashi over the fun of the 700.

So far I am very happy with my decision, it only took a couple of years to decide what to get and to save up the cash for it.

No comments: